Sustainable Landscape Design
Let us bring your ideal landscape to life!
We are more than happy to help, below you find a general idea of how we think about the sustainable landscape design process. Reach out if you have any thoughts or questions!
Sustainable Landscape Design
Sustainability is a multifaceted concept that involves balancing the economic, social, and environmental needs of present and future generations. It involves meeting the needs of people today without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Sustainable Environment refers to the practice of using natural resources in a way that preserves the environment and biodiversity, while also reducing pollution and waste. This includes practices such as recycling, conserving energy and water, protecting natural habitats, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Sustainable Community involves creating and maintaining healthy, inclusive, and equitable communities. This includes addressing issues such as poverty, inequality, and social justice, as well as promoting social cohesion, participation, and empowerment.
- Sustainable Personal health is an important aspect of sustainability. This includes physical health, mental health, and emotional well-being. It involves taking care of oneself and one’s family, as well as promoting healthy behaviors and lifestyles.
- Sustainable Mental health is an important aspect of personal sustainability. It refers to an individual’s emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act, and is important for overall health and quality of life.
- Sustainable Relational health involves building and maintaining healthy and positive relationships with others, including family, friends, and community members. It involves communication, trust, respect, and mutual support, and is important for both personal and community well-being.
- Sustainable Construction involves creating structures that are environmentally responsible, energy-efficient, and durable. This includes using materials and techniques that minimize the impact on the environment, reduce energy and resource consumption, and have a long lifespan.
- Sustainable Personal Finance refers to the practice of managing one’s financial resources in a way that is financially sound. This includes making financial decisions that consider the long-term impacts on both personal and societal well-being. This means that we have match the proper budget.
When we consider Sustainable Landscape Design we are trying to incorporate all kinds of sustainability. Your landscaping should be ideal for you, your household, your family, your neighborhood, your community, and beyond for right now and decades into the future.
Sustainable Landscape Design: Creating Functional and Beautiful Outdoor Spaces
The function of a property is an important consideration in landscape design because it helps to determine the overall goals and priorities of the landscape. For example, a property used primarily for entertaining may require a different design than a property used primarily for relaxing or as a playground for children.
Here are some ways in which the function of a property can impact landscape design:
- Layout: The layout of the landscape should be designed to support the intended use of the property. For example, a property used for entertaining may require a large patio or deck, while a property used for relaxation may benefit from a meandering pathway or a secluded garden.
- Plantings: The plantings in the landscape should be chosen to support the intended use of the property. For example, a property used for entertaining may require low-maintenance plants that can withstand heavy foot traffic, while a property used for relaxation may benefit from plants that provide shade or fragrant flowers.
- Hardscapes: The hardscapes in the landscape, such as patios, decks, retaining walls, and pathways, should be designed to support the intended use of the property. For example, a property used for entertaining may require a large patio or deck, while a property used for relaxation may benefit from a secluded seating area or a water feature.
Sustainable Landscape Design is about creating functional and beautiful outdoor spaces that meet the specific needs and goals of the property owner. The function of a property plays a crucial role in determining the layout, plantings, and hardscapes of the landscape. By considering the intended use of the property, landscape designers can create a design that not only meets the functional needs of the property but also enhances its aesthetic appeal. Whether a property is used for entertaining, relaxing, or as a playground for children, sustainable landscape design can help to create a space that is both functional and visually appealing, and that promotes a healthy and sustainable environment.
What is the design process?
There is a significant trust-building process that needs to happen when. Here is the typical process of creating a landscape design:
- Consultation: The designer meets with the homeowner to discuss their goals, preferences, and budget for the landscape design. The designer may also assess the site and gather information about the local climate, soil, and existing conditions.
- Concept development: Based on the information gathered in the consultation, the designer develops a concept for the landscape design. This may involve sketching out ideas, creating a written proposal, or presenting the homeowner with visual aids such as diagrams or renderings.
- Design development: The designer creates a more detailed design plan, including specific plant and hardscape selections, as well as irrigation and lighting plans. The homeowner may be involved in reviewing and approving the design at this stage.
- Implementation: The designer works with contractors to implement the design, including ordering materials, preparing the site, and installing plants, hardscapes, and other elements.
- Maintenance: The designer may provide guidance on how to care for and maintain the landscape over time, including recommendations for watering, fertilizing, and pruning.
By following this process, a landscape designer can work with a homeowner to create a customized and well-planned landscape design that meets their needs and preferences. We handle all of these steps of the landscaping process. We will also work with third-party design firms when desired.
Establishing Trust with Your Landscaping Service Provider
Even with a well-structured sustainable landscape design process, there are still many factors in becoming comfortable with a landscaper. Here steps that we take to build trust with a homeowner:
- Communication: Clearly and accurately communicate with the homeowner about the design process, timelines, budgets, and any changes or updates.
- Seek input and feedback: Involve the homeowner in the design process by asking for their input and feedback and taking their preferences and concerns into account.
- Provide references and examples of past work: Share references and examples of past work to give the homeowner an idea of the designer’s style and level of experience.
- Follow through on commitments: Meet deadlines and deliver on promised work and be responsive and timely in addressing any issues or concerns. There are times that we do fixed bid proposals and other the project is better suited for a structured estimate (more common for repairs and rehabilitation efforts)
- Be transparent: Be open and transparent about costs, materials, and any potential challenges or delays that may arise.
By following these steps, we hope to build trust with a homeowner and create a positive working relationship as your partner in landscape design, installation and yard care. Here are more thoughts about selecting the ideal landscaping partner
Outdoor Lighting for Your Garden: How Sustainable Landscape Design Can Incorporate Energy-Efficient Outdoor Lighting
Outdoor lighting can beautify a house in several ways:
- Highlighting architectural features: Outdoor lighting can highlight the architectural features of a house, such as a facade, windows, doors, and roofline, creating a more visually appealing and attractive appearance.
- Creating a warm and inviting atmosphere: Outdoor lighting can create a warm and inviting atmosphere around a house, making it more welcoming and enjoyable to spend time outside.
- Enhancing the overall appearance: Outdoor lighting can enhance the overall appearance of a house by adding visual interest and depth to the landscape. It can also create a cohesive and balanced look by tying together different elements of the landscape.
- Improving curb appeal: Outdoor lighting can improve the curb appeal of a house by making it more visible and attractive from the street. It can also make the house stand out from the surrounding houses and create a positive first impression.
Overall, outdoor lighting can beautify a house by highlighting its architectural features, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere, enhancing the overall appearance, and improving its curb appeal. Learn more about outdoor lighting.
Using Raised Planter Beds for Sustainable Gardening in Seattle
There are several factors to consider when deciding whether to use a raised planter bed or plant directly in the ground. Here are a few points to consider:
- Soil quality: If the soil in your yard is not suitable for growing plants, a raised planter bed can be a good option. This allows you to bring in soil from another location or purchase soil specifically for the purpose of growing plants in the raised bed.
- Accessibility: If you have mobility issues or find it difficult to bend down to ground level, a raised planter bed can be a more accessible option for gardening. Raised beds can also be a good choice for people with disabilities or those who use wheelchairs.
- Drainage: If the soil in your yard does not drain well or is prone to standing water, a raised planter bed can help to improve drainage. This can be especially important for plants that do not tolerate wet soil conditions.
- Pest control: Raised planter beds can also provide a physical barrier between plants and pests that may be present in the ground, such as slugs and snails. This can be a useful feature for protecting plants from damage.
Overall, there are pros and cons to both raised planter beds and planting directly in the ground. The best option for you will depend on your specific circumstances and the needs of the plants you are growing. It is a good idea to consider the soil quality, accessibility, drainage, and pest control needs of your plants when deciding whether to use a raised planter bed or plant directly in the ground.
Increasing Long-Term Property Value with Sustainable Landscape Design in Seattle
Landscaping can have a significant impact on the value of a home or rental property. Here are a few ways in which good landscaping can improve home value and rental value:
- Increased curb appeal: A well-maintained landscape can greatly improve the appearance of a home or rental property, making it more attractive to potential buyers or renters. This can increase the perceived value of the property and make it more appealing on the market.
- Increased property value: A well-landscaped property can also increase the actual value of a home or rental property. According to the National Association of Realtors, good landscaping can increase a property’s value by up to 15%.
- Increased rental value: A well-landscaped property can also be more attractive to potential renters, which can increase the rental value of the property. Renters are often willing to pay more for a property that has attractive outdoor spaces, such as a well-maintained lawn or garden.
- Energy efficiency: Good landscaping can also help to improve the energy efficiency of a home or rental property. Shade trees, for example, can help to reduce cooling costs in the summer, while evergreens can provide wind protection in the winter.
- Attracting a different type of renter or buyer: By providing additional amenities and outdoor living spaces, such as a patio, deck, or outdoor kitchen there is an opportunity to attract different types of home renters and buyers that will consider the property. These features can make a property more desirable and increase its value on the market.
Overall, good landscaping can greatly improve the value of a home or rental property, both in terms of perceived value and actual value. By investing in quality landscaping, homeowners and property owners can increase the appeal and value of their properties, making them more desirable to potential buyers or renters.
Benefits of Using Native Plants in a Seattle Landscape Design
Native plants are an important element to consider in a sustainable landscape design in Seattle. Here are a few reasons why:
- Adaptability: Native plants are well-suited to the local climate and soil conditions in Seattle, making them more resistant to pests and diseases and requiring fewer inputs such as water, fertilizers, and maintenance compared to non-native plants.
- Biodiversity: Incorporating native plants into your landscape can support the local ecosystem and biodiversity by providing food and habitat for native pollinators, birds, and other wildlife.
- Sustainability: Native plants are a more sustainable choice because they do not require synthetic pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, which can have negative impacts on the environment. They also do not need to be transported from faraway locations, reducing the carbon footprint of your landscape.
- Aesthetics: Native plants can bring beauty and interest to your landscape and can be used to create a variety of design styles. This helps to create a visually appealing and harmonious landscape that blends in with the surrounding environment.
- Low-maintenance: Native plants have adapted to the local environment and climate over time, making them better suited to thrive without the need for excessive watering, fertilizing, or pest control. This results in lower maintenance requirements and a more sustainable landscape, making native plants a popular choice for those looking for an easier-to-maintain garden or outdoor space. To outsource your maintenance needs, learn more about our yard care programs here.
By choosing native plants for your Seattle landscape design, you can create a sustainable and attractive outdoor space that supports the local ecosystem and requires minimal inputs to thrive without any of the ‘cides’ (Pesticides, herbicides, etc)!
Pollinator-Friendly Landscaping for a Sustainable Seattle Garden
Pollinator plants are plants that provide nectar and pollen for pollinators, such as bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. These plants are important for the health and survival of pollinators, which play a critical role in the environment by pollinating a wide variety of plants, including many of the crops that we rely on for food.
There are several reasons why pollinator plants are good for bees and ultimately the environment:
- Food source: Pollinator plants provide a source of nectar and pollen for bees, which they use as a source of energy and nutrition. By planting pollinator plants in your yard or garden, you can help to ensure that bees have access to the food they need to thrive.
- Habitat: Pollinator plants can also provide habitat for bees and other pollinators, including nesting sites and shelter from the elements. By providing a variety of pollinator plants, you can create a hospitable environment for pollinators to live and reproduce.
- Biodiversity: Pollinator plants can help to support biodiversity by providing a food source and habitat for a wide variety of pollinators. By planting a diverse range of pollinator plants, you can help to support the health and diversity of pollinator populations in your area.
- Agricultural benefits: Pollinators play a critical role in agriculture by pollinating a wide variety of crops, including many of the fruits, vegetables, and nuts that we rely on for food. By planting pollinator plants and supporting the health of pollinator populations, you can help to ensure the health and productivity of agricultural systems.
Overall, pollinator plants are important for the health and survival of bees and other pollinators, and ultimately for the health of the environment. By planting pollinator plants and supporting pollinators, you can help to ensure the long-term health and sustainability of our ecosystems.
Choosing Between a French or English Garden in Seattle for Sustainable Landscape Design
A French garden is a type of formal garden that originated in the 16th century in France. It is characterized by its geometric layout, symmetrical design, and use of formal plantings such as topiaries, parterres, and knot gardens. French gardens often include statuary, fountains, and other ornamental elements.
An English Garden is a type of informal garden that originated in the 18th century in England. It is characterized by its naturalistic style, with winding paths, informal plantings, and a mix of flowers, shrubs, and trees. English gardens often include elements such as lawns, ponds, and rustic ornaments.
People may prefer one style over the other for a variety of reasons. Some may prefer the formal and structured design of a French garden, while others may prefer the more natural and relaxed style of an English garden. Personal preference, location, and the overall design of the surrounding property may all be factors in choosing between the two styles.
Uses for a Pergola in an Outdoor Space
A pergola is a structure that is typically made of wood or metal and consists of upright posts or columns that support a framework of rafters or beams.
Pergolas can be used in a variety of outdoor spaces, such as yards, gardens, or patios, and can serve several purposes:
- Shade: Pergolas can provide shade by allowing vines or other plants to grow over the top of the structure. This can be especially useful in hot, sunny climates, or for areas that receive a lot of direct sunlight.
- Privacy: Pergolas can also provide privacy by creating a physical barrier between your outdoor space and the surrounding area. This can be especially useful for people who live near their neighbors or who want to create a more private outdoor space.
- Visual appeal: Pergolas can also add visual appeal to an outdoor space by creating an attractive and eye-catching feature. They can be used to frame a view, create a focal point, or add an element of interest to an otherwise plain space.
- Functionality: Pergolas can also serve a functional purpose, such as providing a space to hang lights or plants, or a place to sit and relax.
Overall, pergolas can be a useful and attractive addition to an outdoor space and can serve a variety of purposes depending on the needs and preferences of the homeowner. Learn more about Pergolas.
Edible Plants to Grow in Seattle
Seattle, located in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, has a climate that is suitable for growing a variety of edible plants.
Some examples include:
- Arbutus (Strawberry Tree)
- Vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, and lettuce
These plants can thrive in the Seattle area, producing sweet, juicy, and flavorful fruit and vegetables that are both edible and have a variety of flavors. By choosing plants that are well-suited to the local climate and soil conditions, you can successfully grow a diverse array of edible plants in your Seattle garden. “
By considering the function of the property, a landscape designer can create a design that meets the needs and priorities of the homeowner.
Is this your private oasis? Is the space primarily for your pets? Your kids? Your grandkids? Or is this the space you use to host guests while sipping a Red Mountain Syrah?
P.S. if you are a wine lover let Nicolette know, her years of throwing dinner events in the Tech space and a few years of living in Woodinville have grown quite the appreciation for delicious wine!
There are so many things to consider in your Landscaping project. We’d be honored to help you walk through that process and earn your trust. Cheers!
From Our Clients
“This has been my favorite home improvement project. This company literally made me a yard where there previously was overgrowth, concrete, large stumps and rocks. They were able to complete the project on time and their cost was much more reasonable than others I interviewed. The project lead Fernando was hard working and communicative. The owner David (and Jeff previously) as well as the GM Chris all stayed in touch throughout the project. I would definitely use them for other projects in the future”
“The team put in an irrigation system in our front and back yard, cleaned everything up and added many new plants to the sunny and shady areas around our home. The owner was very personable, explained everything well and did exactly what he said he was going to do. He was fantastic to work with. His team was wonderful, super hard workers, and very friendly. They helped create color and beauty in every nook and cranny of our yard. My husband and I are very thankful we used this company.”
“Happy with my choice. I had a very small townhouse backyard that was a bit of a mess (low quality builder-grade plantings) and had somewhat of an idea what to do with it. They provided good advice and the final result turned out very well. Finished ahead of schedule too! One year later and I’m still happy with the result. I definitely won’t forget the attention and responsiveness of this company. Thanks a bunch! ”